Reporting to the Vice President of Operations, the Site Superintendent is to contribute to the construction of projects by ensuring work is completed safely and with a high-level of quality, the project schedule is adhered to, as well as through the provision of supervision of all site-based resources including assigned production personnel, heavy equipment, materials, and subcontractors. Superintendents are paired with Project Managers to work as a cohesive team in order to complete projects on time, within budget and as per the desired quality expectations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain a safe site at ALL times, including your safety and the safety of others, and uphold COR™ duties;
- Embracing and enforcing Rutherford’s Health and Safety program and procedures as well as Rutherford’s HR Program and Policies, Environmental Program, and QC Program;
- Complete site inspections prior to mobilization as well as on going safety inspections, tool box talks, and hazard analyses;
- Maintain accurate daily records, documentation, and logs in accordance with company and regulatory requirements;
- Understand the project contract/scope and advise project management of potential changes (scope and conditions), potential problems, work interferences, schedule difficulties, assist in the resolution of problems;
- Assist in planning and creating the work schedule with Project Manager, determine manpower needs, material quantities, equipment requirements, subcontractor scheduling, etc. throughout the project;
- Ensure that the project schedule is adhered to and work is in accordance with plans and specifications;
- Execute projects in accordance with cost/time allocation budget; monitor projects’ requirements and progress continuously;
- Monitor the overall progress of projects and take corrective action where necessary;
- Oversee work performance and productivity of site personnel and subcontractors to ensure project rules, procedures, specifications, safety requirements are adhered to;
- Participate in project-related meetings;
- Communicate with other project team members on a regular basis;
- Coordinate and monitor the effective, efficient and safe use of all resources dedicated to the projects;
- Ensure compliance with union agreements;
- Mentor Rutherford personnel assigned to your jobsite/to you;
- Ensure acceptable end product; and
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Minimum of 10 years in the role of Superintendent for civil and infrastructure construction projects.
- A technical diploma in a construction-related field (i.e. C.E.T) or Gold Seal Certificate would be an asset.
- Understands that safety is at the forefront of every decision, and addresses health and safety proactively.
- Possess a strong ‘Get-it-done’ attitude.
- Experience with COR™ safety program would be an asset.
- A natural leader who possesses a strong ability to manage relationships, people, and resources.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must be a self-starter and highly motivated with the ability to work in an environment with competing priorities and with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrates excellent judgment and ability to adapt to unexpected situations.
- Strong ability to read and interpret construction drawings and specifications.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Potential for annual bonus
- Medical, dental, vision, and specialty benefits (i.e. massage, counselling, naturopath, etc.)
- Paid vacation
- Annual salary negotiable depending on experience and qualifications
Rutherford is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment. We also will provide accommodation, upon request, for applicants with disabilities throughout the selection process.